Today we are going to make Ayam Masak Merah (chicken in red sauce). Ayam masak merah is a Malaysian dish (ayam = chicken, masak = cook, merah = red). It's a mildly spicy tomato based curry that is incredibly delicious! I made it on the Malaysian night I had at home a while ago and Mr. Foodie have a craving for it the other day so here it is.
Chicken marinade: Paste ingredients:
1kg chicken thigh fillets or drumsticks 2 onions
2 tsp salt 8 cloves garlic
1 tsp turmeric 2 inches ginger
2 tbsp cornflour 10 red chillies
pepper 2 tbsp cumin
1 onion sliced in rings
8 tbsp tomato paste
4 cloves garlic minced
6 cardamom pods
2 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp brown sugar
0.5 cup water
salt to taste
- Coat chicken well in marinade and leave for 2 hours.
- Blend paste ingredients to make a paste.
- Shallow fry chicken pieces till golden brown and remove from pan.
- Fry clove, cardamom, star anise and cinnamon until fragrant.
- Add the paste and fry until fragrant. It's important to cook off the paste to really get the full flavour. Stir regularly to avoid burning.
- Next, add all other ingredients and chicken then mix well.
- Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer until sauce is thickened and chicken is cooked well. I like to leave it simmering for 1 hour. Add salt to taste and stir well.
- Best served with coconut rice.
|cooking the paste|
I hope you enjoy this recipe and this dish. It has a lovely tomato, spicy and sweet flavour to it, definitely one of my favourites!